Friday, October 30, 2015

Do more than talk about; act on it


Happy Friday!

and

Happy Early Halloween!

It is Friday once again. Treat yourself with a candy bar in the spirit of Halloween! There is much I have to catch everyone up on so I will get right to it.
Last Friday, if you didn't know, I got my two wisdom teeth taken out, and I'm still having a little pain or soreness. I have been telling people that I made it through the worst of the pain, and now it's lessening a little bit each day (depending if I took any pain medication...) with the help of ice packs and heated rice socks. Progress!
Today a supervisor of mine retired. Sue Olive, with 37 years (right down to the day) of work, is officially retired. Since I'm better with typing or writing my thoughts, I'll share my thoughts and wishes this way. The first thing we bonded over (that I can remember) was breast cancer. She is a survivor and so is my mom. From then on, we talked about food (specifically ham salad!) and oldies music. I will miss her smiling face and unique laugh and hearing stories about her grandkids. 
I wish you all the best, Sue! Enjoy those adorable grandkids of yours, and come by often (on weekends I'm working, obviously) to catch up!
My aunt Jan Racine turns 60 (I mean 25) today! Even though there are 225 miles (it's accurate, I checked) between us and we haven't seen each other in a while, it doesn't change the love and respect I have for you. It just makes the time I do get to spend with you all the more precious to me. You are one of the many people who helped me when I was a struggling college freshman. Thank you for all the love, all the support, all the advice, and all the things I've learned from you. 
I hope you enjoyed the day doing anything and everything you wanted to do because you do so much for others and you deserve it. Happy birthday!
This post's topic hit me when I was in my Russia/Soviet Union class yesterday. We talked about Leo Tolstoy's short story [K]Holstomer: A Story of a Horse. There is a part in the story, told from a horse's point of view, that talked about the humans needed to have many things, be able to call things and animals "mine", and talk means more than actions. Tolstoy hit the the center of what is still in today's society. He knew this and pointed it out.
Let's take a step back. Am I saying this applies to all human beings? Of course not. A huge majority in society today still believes, whether they will admit to it or not: 
  • getting more and more things makes you happier
  • talking means more than actions 
  • having more "possessions" makes you grander and/or lofty
Growing up I was taught: actions say more than words ever will; things don't make a person; and possessions will only satisfy you for only so long. Those are lessons that are tested almost every day. I need to remind myself I might wish I had the 'in' clothes, shoes, accessories, and etc, but I know that's not what matters. People can have all "that" but not a good work ethic or a kind heart or a honest tongue; than all those "things" mean nothing. 
"You can talk for hours and it won't mean much." Talk is cheap. That's how the saying goes. It may be cliché, but it's an honest one. People can say one thing but immediately contradict it with their actions. When it is said, "People lie," they don't always mean with only words. Saying one thing but doing something to directly contradict it? That's a form a lying that doesn't get much notice. Actions matter. Sure, to a certain extent, words matter. But you aren't going to remember what someone told you if you had a bad day; you're are more likely to remember if someone hugged you, or gave you a shoulder to cry on when you needed it the most. We don't always need words; sometimes we need someone to just be there. 
I can't remember the exact amount, but someone who make/has above a certain amount of money aren't any happier than someone who is struggling to get by. This is something that shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Money's value can only go so far. It can't buy you true friends or a loyal significant other. If you are able to buy that, it's conditional and it won't be dependable. 
In the long run, money won't mean anything in the end. 

In the long run, possessions won't mean anything in the end.

In the long run, words won't mean anything in the end. 

The only things that will matter in the end is the people who stuck by you through it all, and the things you did for others without expecting anything in return. 







Until next week,

 














Thought of the day


No comments:

Post a Comment