Friday, October 23, 2015

Going through the motions is not really living


Happy Fri-Thursday!


For those who are read my blog regularly or semi-regularly, you know this is a day earlier for me. Which is out of the ordinary. 
No, I'm not trying to be an over-achiever. Tomorrow, (today for me) I'm getting my wisdom teeth out. This is exciting news!
It's really not.
This is all I can think about right now. I can't eat from midnight Thursday into Friday until I don't know when.

Even after I'm cleared for food, I have to eat soft foods. On the bright side, you know what that means.....
 ICE CREAM. SMOOTHIES. SHAKES. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Anyway, back to original topic at hand: update on my life. Not much has changed in the last week. But I do have another article published; here's the link

I asked myself today, "Melissa, are you actually living or are you just simply going through the motions and sometimes enjoying myself?" It's a valid question. What does it mean to really live? 
Does it mean doing things you have always been too afraid to do?
Does it mean taking the time to enjoy the little things in life?
Does it mean being spontaneous?
Does it mean being daring and maybe illegal?
Does it mean doing all the things you wish you would have done sooner? 
Only 19 years on this planet does not really qualify as enough time to experience life to properly answer that question. Here's what I do know. The difference between living and going through the motions is realizing you want more for yourself out of life than what you have and then having the courage to pursue whatever it is you want with all engines running at full-steam. 
For most people, myself included, the first part isn't the hard part usually. More often than not, it's the actually doing it part that's harder. The reason for this? Because it's real
Some of us, we say we will do something, like make a change to start living in the moment, but we can't always follow through. There are various reasons why. An extremely common one is we are scared. 
It's true. You are most likely lying to yourself, if you disagree with me. We are scared of making that huge of change in our lives. What we tend to forget is that it's okay to be scared. We get to a certain point in our lives we think we won't ever get scared again, and if we do, it's a sign of weakness. Those assumptions are clearly wrong. Getting scared means what's happening is real and you realize you could lose it (or someone). 
Is that a sign of weakness? No. That's couldn't be further from the truth. It's normal. In our younger years, our fears were most likely things like the dark, clowns, spiders, snakes and etc. Sometime as we get older, those childhood fears change into less concrete items and more abstract items we are (most likely) aren't able to stop from happening like losing a loved one or not being good enough for someone or falling in love.
What helps with really living and getting the most out of your life?
 And take one step at a time. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."












Until next week,


















Thought of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment