Friday, April 8, 2016

Stress: the silent killer


Happy Saturday!


I hope everyone has been well since I've posted last. Yes, I realize today's Saturday and I missed my usual Friday post. With three tests (in my hard classes, no less) this week, and two of them being on the same day, and a paper due, I prioritized creating flashcards and getting the paper done over my blogpost.
But after all my tests and general craziness, my sister will be coming to see me next Saturday! I will be holding onto that to get me through this week. 

Society and other (older) generations began associating the word ‘stress’ to ‘college students’; it is almost as if they are bound together, or the cliché “you cannot have one without the other”. With almost two years experience, I know it to be true. Trying to balance classes, homework, work, clubs/organizations, studying, social life, and family time is (and continues to be) something I struggle with. Sometimes I say that I think I have a good balance, and then something random happens and suddenly I question myself if I really ever had a balance. While watching this documentary titled "Stress: Portrait of a Killer", it enlightened me in ways I had not thought about before and opened my eyes to what might be happening to my body and those close to me without me realizing it. 
Probably my first exposure to stress comes from watching my sister and her struggles. When I was about eight or nine, my sister was diagnosed with OCD and anxiety. Of course, at the time, I did not understand what that meant, but as I grew up, I slowly began to understand what it was and how it affected her. It did not affect her body really until she went to college. Instead of gaining the “freshman fifteen,” she lost it and then some. In comparison to my college experience, it was quite similar. While my body does not respond to stress by losing weight, there have been many times when I felt like I faced so much stress in just about every aspect in my life and this still happens to me currently. My heartbeat quickens, thoughts are racing, hands are shaking, and sometimes my hands tremble. What I did not realize is how stress affects my body internally, because I only paid attention to what I could see on the outside. Realizing this gives me more motivation to find ways to ease my stress, which could hopefully in turn help me with controlling my anxiety and OCD. Knowing what I do it is opening my eyes to seeing it in others. 
I have first-hand experience when it comes to seeing how stress affects others in low positions. When the documentary stated that low submissive positions are usually the most stressed group, I remember nodding at this part. My parents never had the opportunity to go to college, and both my parents worked multiple jobs to be able to provide for my siblings and I. As a little girl, I have a familiar image of my mom hunched over the table with receipts and bills scattered around her, trying to figure out a way to make ends meet money-wise. Now, I’m the same way: always stressing about having enough money to pay my bills.
Stress is the silent killer. We, as a society, have a tendency to overlook or ignore our mental health and its need to be taken care of. Why? A couple of likely reasons are that we cannot see it like we can see a broken leg needs a cast and we do not know how to best treat our mental health when it breaks. But ignoring it will come back to bite us in the end. We strike a balance between the good and bad stress and how to decompress when we are stressed to the point of feeling like we are suffocating. 





Until next week,













Thought of the day

 

No comments:

Post a Comment