Friday, August 7, 2015

Thank a veteran--dedicated to all past, present, and future soldiers


Happy Particular Preposterous Packaging Day!

Check out this website. Did you think I was kidding?
Some of these crazy and/or bizarre holidays are really dumb. They seem to made up for just the fun of it. A day for particularly preposterous packaging? 

But sometimes there are some holidays I come across and my reaction is the exact opposite. Like August 7th being Purple Heart Day. Which brings me to today's post topic. 
For those who don't know, the Purple Heart is awarded to anyone "being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces". It was first awarded in 1932, and the medal has a side profile view of George Washington. The Purple Heart is the oldest medal that is still given to military members. Since 1932, there have been approximately 1.9 million awarded. 
Let that sink in. Do you know what that means? There have been almost 1.9 million wounded veterans who are still living and/or soldiers who gave their life for this country. 
If this shocks you, it shouldn't. Why? Because there is no one, absolutely no single person, who comes back home from combat or war unharmed. You see things, you do things, you witness mass destruction and murder. No one would be the same person after experiencing those things.  
Why is this so important to me? My two grandfathers who fought in the Korean War received this great honor. They served this country, and in the process, they were wounded. I am damn proud to be related to them. 
I have heard stories of how different my grandfathers were after coming home (after medical care). My mom would tell me, "Your grandpa would re-live the war over and over again in his head. Sometimes your grandma couldn't help him or didn't know how to help." 
Today we coined the term Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD for this. And when this goes untreated or undiagnosed, a likely end result is suicide.


There are programs and other organizations dedicated to helping soldiers really come home from war, helping them adjust to civilian life. I feel that we aren't doing enough for the men and women who come home after protecting us and our freedoms (which we take for granted, most of the time). 
Someone doesn't need to be an expert about this to help. Sometimes a "Thank you for serving our country, protecting my family and me, and I want you to know that your dedication is very much appreciated" will help. 
Sometimes it's the smallest of gestures that has the biggest impact.



Until next week,

 










Thought of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment