Friday, August 28, 2015

Cookies, cakes, and choices: which to choose?


Happy Friday, internet explorers!

And no, I don't mean the Internet application that barely exists anymore.


Oh! I'm so glad you noticed that intended pun.

Before I get started with today's post, I would like ask how everyone has been doing. It's my hope that life is treating you all well. I realized that I'm the one who is always telling you how my life is going that I forget to ask how every one else is. My apologies, dear readers. It will be added to my list of goals: to ask my readers more about their lives and how they are going.
I know this is going to sound hypocritical (and I'm sorry). I just wanted to give you all an update of my life. I OFFICIALLY MADE IT THROUGH MY FIRST WEEK OF MY SOPHOMORE YEAR OF COLLEGE. GO ME. (Normally, I'm not a user of the caps lock key, but that statement seemed worthy of using caps lock.) Now, were there some moments when I was so stressed that I wanted to quit college and join the circus? Yes, but I pushed myself to get through them. This is also an amazing feat for me.
Also, an amazing opportunity is in front of me at the moment. Before I get to the point, I would like to tell you some background information. While I was working this summer at the library, a gentleman asked if we checked out laptops that had a Webcam. Politely, I said, "Of course," and handed him one. When he returned it, he had mentioned that webcam worked and the interview he needed it for went well. To make small conversation and, out of pure curiosity, I asked him what the interview was for. He asked me if I had ever heard of The Odyssey, and said, "Yes, I love that site!" He proceeded to tell me that the interview was for The Odyssey to come to UNI. Of course, you know all know I love to write, I got extremely excited, and it must have showed because he asked I like to write. I told him that I did, and he asked me if I would like to write for it, and I said that I would. 
Today, I put myself out there, so to speak, and emailed the editor-in-chief (the guy I talked to at the library) to tell him I was very much interested in applying to be a writer or photography. And surprisingly enough, he remembered my interest. I then made the decision to apply to be a writer or photographer for the The Odyssey @ UNI.
And now I wait to hear back.  
(For those who don't know, I am not a big fan of talking about myself. So that was a lot for me. I'm good for quite a long time.)
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Today's topic is about about a word that can be unbelievably scary and paralyzing for some people (aka: me), but for others don't even blink. This is something that I can promise you that face every day of your life whether you are aware of this or not.

Choice

"Choice: (noun) an act or instance of choosing; selection" (cited from dictionary.com). In life, we face many choices. Sometimes we make the right one; sometimes we make the wrong one; sometimes we don't make one at all. 
What do you think of when you hear the word? Does it bring up good memories like "I'm so glad I made the choice to go to college" or maybe does it stir up some bad moments of your life like "I can't believe I was stupid enough to believe he liked me"?
For many, you probably have had your fair share of choices: good ones, bad ones, and the one you might be too scared to take. 
For when you feel like you made a good choice: Congratulations! It's something to be proud of. Really. It is. That feeling you get when you know deep down that feels right is amazing and powerful. And sometimes we don't revel in that feeling more. 

For when you feel like you made a bad choice: You are not a failure. You must tell yourself this. Sometimes we mess up. We are humans, not robots. Sometimes we get it wrong. And that's okay. The important thing to take away from your experience is that you put yourself out there and took a chance. And the second important thing to take away? You learned something whether it be that you can't do the splits or that you should have studied a little bit harder for that test. The only to move on from it, is to actually move on, and stop dwelling on something you likely can't change.

For when you feel like you are too scared or nervous to take: You might never know if you don't try. The possibilities are at your front door. Rarely does that happen, but when it does, it's best to open your door and welcome them. Sometimes you might lock that metaphoric door and run the other direction. And that's okay. Maybe you weren't quite ready. Give yourself some time, and when a similar opportunity comes around, you should tell yourself "I may not be fully ready, but I just have to take a chance and let it play out as it should."


Sometimes you have many choices and there will be times when you don't have a choice.


Trust your gut; it's usually right.










Until next week,

 








Thought of the day




No comments:

Post a Comment