Friday, May 20, 2016

Expectations hold others and ourselves accountable


Happy Friday!


The sun was shining, birds were chirping, and the temperature was on point. In other words, it was practically perfect day. I hope you got a chance to enjoy the beautiful weather. If not, tomorrow's forecast looks to be something like today. Everybody could use a little bit of vitamin D.
It's official! I'm all moved in the house that I'm renting with three other girls. All I need now is to continue to settle in and few other things. "Adulting" at its finest. I get a feeling of accomplishment and growing up, but as Uncle Ben said in Spider-Man, "With great power comes great responsibility." I know I have more bills added to my budget, but for one, this is challenging me to budget my money even more, and for two, it's most definitely worth it to have independence and a place to call my own (or a fourth of, anyway) for the time being.
There are a few people I need to thank before I get to my post. I want to take the time to thank my cousin, Robert, and his girlfriend, Kathy, for housing me last week while the house was being cleaned. I need to thank my aunt, Jan, and another cousin, Sarah, for helping me out with giving me dishes, pots, pans, silverware, bowls, utensils, and more. I need to thank my aunt, Judy, and uncle, Gerry, for hauling all the stuff I got from Sarah to my brother's place. I need to thank my parents and siblings for helping me move in. I'm truly grateful and blessed to have these people in my life.

Since birth, there were expectations for us and of us. We are expected to learn how to speak, how to spell, how to throw a ball, how to act during certain times and at certain places, and others. These are straight forward or implied by parents, siblings, relatives, friends, seemingly random strangers, teachers, law officials and more. 
Detailing the purposes for all these expectations are not for me to list because everyone has different motivations or reasons why they set them. In general, though, they are set for safety, efficiency of day-to-day life, motivation, to hold people accountable and more.  
We have different expectations for different people in our lives. We expect our friends to have backs and stand up for us when they know we might be wrong. We expect our family to stand by us when times are tough and be there for us when we need help. We expect our teachers to help us learn. 
On the other side of the argument, the people in our lives have expectations of us. We must always try to remember that just as we have expectations of others, they have expectations of us.
This, most of the time, is hold the people in our lives accountable. It's good, healthy even, to have expectations, especially high ones. If you're waiting for the but, here it is. But we need to understand and be flexible if someone doesn't meet those high expectations and also we need to need to draw the line when you've reached your breaking point and can't make any more excuses.  








Until next week,











Thought of the day

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment