Friday, March 25, 2016

Not everyone is meant to stay in your life


Happy Sunday!

AND

Hoppy Easter!


Happy Easter, my readers! Did you catch the cheesy pun? Because I have been saying that to everyone today. People are probably getting tired of, but I don't care because I love puns too much. I hope everyone is enjoying this day regardless if you are religious or not. The weather isn't that great today (cold and chilly), but it's better than snow. 
I realize the last couple of weeks, including this one, have been late. Friday: I registered for fall classes (adulting=success) and humanities test (ehhh). Saturday: worked and went home. Sunday: working, but I have time to write a post. And I want to apologize for this. My life has been hard and stressful the last couple of weeks. It has been crazy, but I'm going to try harder to get the posts out on time. Thank you for your patience with me!

Here's the link to my latest Odyssey article: An Open Letter To My Sister Graduating College.
I wanted to do something a little differently with this post and see how it goes. Recently, I read an article from a fellow Odyssey writer at UNI. It is titled It's OK To Walk Away. The article is spot on, and even brings up some points I hadn't even thought of. It got me thinking how some people are meant to come into your life, teach you a thing or two, but maybe are not necessarily meant to stay. Now, I am a firm believer in "keep trying and keep putting effort in", particularly specific to marriage; something I've learned from observing my grandparents, parents, and other couples. I guess I've overlooked the life fact that sometimes our best isn't good enough. We can try and try and keep trying but it's simply not enough. There comes a point when we need to ask ourselves a serious question: "Is it time to walk away?"And answer it honestly. This is where the article is amazing and insightful.
In Marketing, I learned about the Consumer Buying Process; the first step is problem recognition or when there is a difference between desired and actual states. It's the same in life. We realize there is something wrong. Just like consumers look for a product, we look for ways to try to make it right. Sometimes there are not products to help the desired state, and sometimes we reach the point to where we've tried and tried but nothing's changing and need to move on.
There's a stigma that comes with the decision to walk away. It's means you've failed or you weren't enough. THESE ARE FALSE. That is our brain deceiving us. Failing? No. We tried, therefore we didn't fail to do anything, to not try anything. Not enough? No, you are enough, but the other person's changed and you have no control over that. 
This next part is an (short) open letter to everyone who's realized they needed to walk away from a situation or person. 
Dear people who didn't stay my life,
It hurt to walk away from you or you walked away. It hurt to shut the door. It hurt to know that I lost someone who, maybe at one point, was an important person in my life, and with whom there are amazing and wonderful memories and experiences that I don't regret. 
I don't wish you harm or terrible things. In fact, I wish you well. My decision to walk away didn't have to do with anger. While I don't have to explain it to you, my decision to walk away had to do with me realizing that what I deserve and the current situation wasn't it or couldn't give me it. 
Your chapter in my life story is over and my chapter in your life story is over. We can go our separate ways for the better. Because we both shouldn't settle for anything less short of being happy.
Sincerely,
Me 







Until next week,



















Thought of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment