Friday, March 4, 2016

Pro tip: not everyone was raised the way you were


Happy Friday!


If your week was anything like mine, you most definitely deserve to treat yourself, because, in general, my week was pretty crappy with 3 tests, 1 paper, and 1 group dance project and being awoken at 5:15am for a fire alarm on Wednesday morning. You know what? I got ice cream; it wasn't 4 Queens level of ice cream, but it was a treat nonetheless. So. The point is: treat yourself.
Next week at this time, I will be at home, enjoying the presence of my kitty and my family and away from classes, work, campus, and generally all adult responsibilities that comes with being a college student. No, I won't be spending my Spring Break in partying Florida for two reasons: one, I'm a broke, and two, I'm not a big fan of crowds/partying. Hence why I will be working for most of the break. I'm a real dare-devil. 
My latest Odyssey article link: 15 Things Only Fangirls Get.
In the last couple of weeks, I have come to a realization about college. Sure, classes and dealing with some professors and even co-workers (not mine, of course, I have awesome co-workers) can be difficult, generating feelings of frustration or anger. Although, I believe there's something that's even more challenging than those things. Actually it's probably most likely the overlaying cause or theme in a couple of those things. 
Not everyone was raised the way you were.
You might be sarcastically thinking, "No, really, Melissa." It's true, though. It's also easy to think that when it's not happening to you. (Like most things in life.)
If you're a frequent reader of this blog of mine, you know how much I love and appreciate my family. I'm so very blessed with a family such as mine. My parents, who didn't have the easiest childhood, know the value of hard work, spending money practically, honesty, a good work ethic, being courteous and kind to others, and many other admirable traits and characteristics. Just like the good parents they are, they wanted to make sure my siblings and I learned and realized how important it is to have those traits and others. (And I'd like to think they succeeded.) How my parents taught us those traits wasn't always a walk in the park; in fact, they were, and continue to be, hard lessons learned. Many times, I couldn't always realize or see what they were trying to teach me. All they've taught me is one of the many things I'm thankful for and something I'll never regret the experiences and hope to pass onto kids of my own someday (in the very distant future). 
But not everyone experienced all that I have and I haven't experienced all that everyone has. It can be a hard truth to swallow. Not everyone I help at the library is as courteous as I was raised to be, and I grin and bear it. Not everyone was raised to be kind and do something nice for a stranger, especially when it might slightly inconvenience you. Not everyone was taught to respect co-workers and supervisors and do as you're instructed. Not everyone was raised to not recklessly spend money as soon as they get paid and learn how to save it in case of a rainy day. Maybe most importantly, not everyone was raised to think of others and their feelings before yourself. 
Everyone is different, yes. Everyone experienced life a little differently, yes. Is it frustrating when you wonder why someone doesn't know that a harsh truth is better than any sugar-coated lie? Is it hard when you wonder why someone doesn't know that actions speak louder than words; that apologies require a change? Yes. Hell yes, it is. This happens with roommates, best friends, friends, co-workers, and anyone else you come into contact with on any given day. What's probably even harder is accepting and understanding differences in values, opinions, and etc. The good thing is, though, this a life-long process.





Until next week,










Thought of the day

 


No comments:

Post a Comment