Friday, June 19, 2015

I walk for more birthdays



Happy Friday to everyone!


(I'm not even sorry for the 1D gif.)

(I have had such an amazing day that I'm adding a second gif.)



One might wonder why I'm finally getting around to my weekly blogpost. *silence ensues with a few cricket chirps*
One could think I procrastinated by 
-Napping

-Reading (whatever I could scrounge up)

-Eating

-Watching YouTube and/or on social media 

And one would be partly right. I was on social media, I was eating (who doesn't?), but sadly no naps for Melissa. :(
I would give you guesses, but I bet you're thinking, "Melissa, JUST GET TO THE POINT. IF THERE IS ONE!"
Fine. I will tell you.
I went outside and interacted with other humans! *GASP* 
Specifically at Black Hawk County's Relay for Life. Now, some may know what Relay for Life stands for and who it helps and supports. And some are likely not. As a quick recap, Relay for Life supports and benefits in honor and memory of those who's lives have been affected by cancer. It raises money for cancer research so hopefully the younger generations will see a cure for all or most cancers. Click this link to learn more about this wonderful organization! 
This is an incredible event. And it so humbling to go to a Relay. For me, it puts life in a clear-cut perspective: life, can be and, is short; most of the time, it is even shorter than one might realize. Luminaries (bags weighed down with sand and a candle sits in it) around the track either say "In Memory of" or "In Honor of." The first is for those who may be gone from this life because they have lost the battle (against cancer), but they aren't forgotten. And the latter for ones who are still fighting the fight or fought and won the battle. 
It's hard to not get choked up watching the Survivor Lap. (I was seriously close to getting choked up.) Anyone who realizes the gravity of those few minutes will tell you how silent it starts off. Soon the clapping starts and the everyone is cheering as they make their way around the track.
Cancer, or any devastating accident or medical illness, has a way of making it clear what really matters in life. I would know. 
No, I have never had it (fingers-crossed!) but I do know of someone extremely close to me.
My biggest supporter. My #1 fan. My friend. My mom. Joyce Curtis. She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2000. With three kids and husband to support (and at the rip age of 39 going on 40), she found her greatest fears realized. 
While I can't speak for her and all that she went through, I can speak for all that I have learned from watching and listening about her experiences. My mom is a fighter. (Personally, I think she could give Ali a run for his money.) She never once gave up, even when the odds seemed against her. 
"Melissa, giving up was never an option for me. I had you and your siblings and dad looking to me to fight this." 


So. What really matters in life. I can't answer that for you, because we are different people.
Here's what, and rather who, matters in my life.
-Family.



 -Friends. Old and New.






Love. Friendship. Late talks. Laughing over nothing and everything. Having that extra cookie or slice. Sleeping in. Taking naps. Enjoying both a beautiful sunset and a cosy rainy day in. 
Basically, all the simple pleasures in life. Moments I take for granted every day. 

If you get anything out this post, let it be this. 
Don't take moments or the simple pleasures in life for granted.


So...


 











Thought of the Day



Thanks for the reminder, Dory!



No comments:

Post a Comment