Friday, May 22, 2015

Graduation and Memorial Day brings out nostalgic feelings

Happppy Friday all!




I have been struggling with what to write about for this post. No, seriously, the struggle is real. 
Then I realized that Memorial Day and Graduation Day (for the Class of 2015) are this weekend. As I thought more about it, they both bring nostalgic feelings to me.
Graduation (of high school) 
This past week I have seen so many TimeHops from members of my classmates (CLASS OF 2014 4-EVA...jk) back to the graduation ceremony last year. It was kind of nice seeing pictures from that day. After 20 million posts, I'm like...

(Thanks, Cap. You summed it up perfectly.)
But I will admit that it did bring back some memories from that day. I said goodbye to a dear friend of mine who went to the University of Kentucky. The fact that that part of my life was over hadn't hit me until that day. High school was OVER. A part of me was glad to get a new chance to start over at UNI (University of Northern Iowa for those who don't know). The other part of me was sad to leave all that I have ever known and all the memories and experiences I gained. 
To sum up graduating from high school feels like (for most people): bittersweet....nostalgic.

Memorial Day

This is funny exchange happened between me and a co-worker (sorts). He is a member of the Coast Guard. So military. This is how the conversation went.
  • Me: It is Memorial Day weekend. But I have seen photos on my Facebook Timeline of a crying little boy being handed a folded up flag, and the words "Just in case you thought it was National BBQ Day" 
  • Him: Yeah, if only it was possible to switch around Veteran's Day and Memorial Day, so that could be possible and just invite a veteran to your BBQ. *laughs*
  • Me: There we go! 
As a proud granddaughter of two grandfathers who served in the Korean War, this holiday hits very close to home. Yes, I didn't lose my grandfathers in the war, but that doesn't mean this holiday isn't any easier for me to get through. 
If I was honest (and I am), I never really thought of Memorial Day as a popular day to just chill and grill out. I have been raised to respect that day that is dedicated specifically to the people who sacrificed their lives by protecting our great country. 
Sure, people like to BBQ on this day. I have nothing against that. But what I'm trying to get at is that make sure to take the time to remember why and how we get to celebrate and enjoy this day. People sacrificed their lives so that we can sit back and relax on this day. 

I know it's a short post this week, but that's all I have for this week! 

I hope you all have a safe Memorial Day. (And thank a veteran and/or a veteran's family for their service and/or sacrifice.)  










Thought of the Day:



No comments:

Post a Comment