Friday, July 29, 2016

Be the better person, especially when it seems hard


Happy Monday!


Hello, dear readers of mine! I hope things are going okay since the last time I posted. Did you treat yourself today? If you haven't, go do it. It's Monday; they are hard for everyone. Make it easier to get through by treating yourself somehow. I know I realized that school starts up exactly 3 weeks from now. It's crazy how fast this summer has gone by. I mean I just ordered my textbooks for the fall...not fun.

Happy 33rd Anniversary to my mom and dad on July 30th!
Here's the link to my latest Odyssey article: Dating For Dummies In A Hookup Society.
Something that my parents instilled in my siblings and I: be the better person. Now, you can imagine how challenging it can be to tell a child to "be the better person" when someone steals their crayons or juice box and they want to retaliate back. The child will likely want to wonder why they shouldn't turn around and do something in return. "Whhyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?" 
Over the years, I asked my mom one time, "Why do I have to be the better person?" She told that someone has to be the "bigger" person, someone to swallow their pride and proudness and move one. I realize that this is a huge lesson. In a world with so much hate and anger, we act irrationally when hurt and make rash decisions fueled with that hurt. When someone does wrong to us or by us, it doesn't mean you have to do the same thing back to that person or someone else. Be the bigger person and stop the cycle of anger and hate. If you "pass it on" and don't be the better person, you are essentially perpetuating, continuing the cycle of hatred and anger in the world.
The way to stop the cycle? Try to be the better person. Now, it's not always easy to be the better person. It takes courage to the bigger person. And you're not always going to be the better person; you're likely to mess up from time to time, and that's okay. But we must always try to be the better person when the time comes.











Until next week,















Thought of the day

 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment