Friday, June 3, 2016

Love is appreciation, not control


Happy Sunday!


Hello, fellow readers of mine. I hope you enjoyed the weekend like I did. The weather, for the most part, lent itself for people get out and breathe in the fresh air. 
There is reason why I am a little late in posting this week. I made the 3 hour trip from Cedar Falls to Spencer, IA to spend the weekend with Courtney before the summer gets me too busy. We went to see a couple of movies; I got to finally meet her parents and her 3 entertaining dogs; Courtney showed me around her hometown of Laurens, IA, and much more! I want to thank Courtney, her mom and dad, and her dogs for letting me stay for the weekend! It was quite an entertaining and enjoyable time.


This post will contain some spoilers for the movie and this post is not a movie or book review. 
One of the movies Courtney and I went to was called Me Before You. It was a film-adaptation of the book of the same name which was authored by Jojo Moyes. Now, we knew before going into the movie that will be sad and there would be many tears shed. After? This movie actually left what felt like a gaping hole in my heart and some food for thought. 
The movie follows Will Traynor, a man turned into a sarcastically blunt and bitter quadriplegic after being hit by a vehicle, and 20-something, chatty woman, Louisa Clarke, with a quirky sense of style. Louisa is hired to essentially cheer him up and tries to do until she accidentally overhears the news that Will gave his parents 6 more months then he wanted to end his painful life through assisted suicide. She is momentarily set back but her sister inspires her to make his last months filled with bucket-list-like activities. Along the way, in my thoughts, the two opposites attract and fall in love. A part of me thinks she hoped that her efforts could help him change his mind about the assisted suicide. In the end, his mind couldn't be changed.
This is the food for thought. I am not well-researched on the topic of assisted suicide, but here are my thoughts and opinions on this. In the story of Will, his day-to-day life was a painful uphill battle and even the slightest hitch caused an enormous amount of problems. It comes back to the quality versus quantity/quantitative debate. What it comes down to is choice. It's the choice of the person and the quality of life they want for themselves. It's their choice. The loved ones of the person? It's not up to them to make it. 

What they can do is support the said person, cherish them, love them. While the loved ones might disapprove and try to convince them to change their mind, the only person who has control over your body is YOU and (should) only be you. I'm not sure if this is something someone has said before or not, so, if it is, I apologize for my ignorance. Love isn't about control. And to love someone means not controlling or trying to control them, make decisions for them. Love is appreciation, not control.











Until next week,














Thought of the day

 


No comments:

Post a Comment