Friday, January 22, 2016

5 lessons I've learned from watching Parks and Recreation


Happy Friday!


Finally is right. It's Friday once again. If you haven't treated yourself yet today, then go do it right now, but please wait until you finish reading this post. What if I have already treated myself today? Good for you, and you could do it again (because you probably deserve it).
It's been a stressful week. After my last class today, I felt emotionally, physically, and mentally tired. I don't know what's going on with me lately. Maybe I'm experiencing "the sophomore slump". I do have good news. Recently, I began thinking more seriously about my education and the many opportunities I have. With my major, I have the option to study photography in Italy which combines my love for taking pictures and my love and wish to travel. The only catch is money, but I would love to see there are any scholarships available to apply for and would seriously consider seizing this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Also, I been thinking about attending graduate school to get a Master's in library science since I love libraries and the books in them. I'm not quite sure of the emphasis in library science I would pursue. So many opportunities that it overwhelms me. 
 My latest Odyssey article: 16 Reminders for 2016.
If you have been reading my posts, you would know I recently started watching the show "Parks and Recreation". The documentary-like show follows the Parks and Recreation department in Pawnee, Indiana. My first impression of the show was that it wasn't to be taken seriously and it would be a just-for-fun show. 
But I was wrong, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've learned many new lessons and reinforced what I already know. I highly recommend watching the show: it will make you laugh and teach you something in the process. 
1. Treat yo self. 
In this episode, Donna and Tom set aside one day that they call "Treat Yo Self". They go out and buy everything as a treat to them. The show exaggerates the actual lesson. You need to treat yourself every now and again. How you do that is obviously up to you, but you should do this to reward yourself just because.
2. Adulting sucks sometimes.
April is right. Being a responsible adult sucks. Sometimes we just want to have our moms make us better when we are sick. Sometimes we just want to sit and pout because we didn't get what we want. Sometimes we have to refine from buying something we really want because we are saving up to go on a trip or buy an updated car. Sometimes we have to be the better person when others are acting like a jerk. But what makes adulting worth it? We (not me yet) get to buy alcohol.
3. You are never alone.
Learn to spend time by yourself. Find something you love doing on your own. When it seems as if there is no one there, there is. YOU. You'll always have yourself. A couple words of caution, though: never lose all of yourself in someone because the reality is that people leave and you'll be left wondering who you are and who you were before they came into your life. There is a difference between being alone and feeling lonely. You can be surrounded by people yet still feel alone.
4. Caring too much can be harmful.
Stay with me on this one. Kind-hearted people, my mom for example, always think of others before themselves. Always put others' needs before their own. And when asked about they want, they usually don't know what to say because they always spend time putting others wants before their own. It's often we don't realize all they sacrifice for others. And these kind-hearted people get so used to putting themselves last that they forget to think about themselves, and that's mentally harmful. 
5. In every joke, there is a little bit of truth.

I'm fairly sure I've heard of this before from someone or something. Jokes, sarcasm, wit all are used as a cover, to protect us from feeling the full effect or not wanting the other person know just how much you actually like them. We hide behind the jokes because it's easier and you don't want to face what's really going on. The more jokes, sarcasm, or witty remarks you hide behind only end up biting you up in the end,

 There are many others, many, many others, but those are the ones that stood out to me. 








Until next week,













Thought of the day

 



No comments:

Post a Comment