Friday, December 11, 2015

Grades do not (and should not) define who we are


Happy Friday!


It's Friday, which means....the weekend! You made it! Treat yourself! (You probably deserve it, anyway.)
A brief update on my life: I have been feeling a little sluggish for a while, but I'm really trying to just get through each day. What helps are great co-workers, great roommate and/or friends, and naps. And the thought I'm almost done with the semester and I can enjoy some time away. 
Here's the link to my latest Odyssey article: 10 Movies To Get You in the Holiday Spirit.
Countdown to Christmas break: 7 days: 2 tests, 1 project, ? hours of work.
 I GOT THIS. 
Speaking of the dreaded finals week. There's something I think it's important and especially relevant this point in the semester to talk about. I came about this topic while I was having lunch with a friend. All semester she's struggled with a class and the terrible (and totally unhelpful) professor, and I listened to her vent (totally don't mind doing it). Without going into too much detail to be respectful, I said, "This will sound preachy, but your grade does not define who you are." It's true. I know how much work she did. I know how much effort she's made to learn the material. The grade she should get for all the time, effort, work she put into the semester is definitely (and significantly) higher than the one she's told me that she'll likely get.
The grades we get on projects, the grades we get on tests, the grades we get on assignments DO NOT define us. 
This is so important that I will say it again: the grades we get in a class do not define us and who we are. 
Grades do not define who we are as human beings. They do not define us, and we shouldn't let them. They do not know what a beautiful human you are. 
What matters isn't the grade, even though I will not deny the fact it's nice to see an 'A' on a quiz, you got; it's what you got out of the experience, what you learned is what matters. Now, I realize this is a hard concept to accept and enforce in your life.  
Why we put so much emphasis on grades is something that bugs me to no end. If someone, who worked really hard (and learned a lot), received a 'C+' then they deserve the same positive attention given to the person who, might not have worked as hard, received a 'A'. I believe it goes back to how our society today seems to love to judge by first glance and that's that. While I might not have proof to back this opinion up, this something that needs to be changed about our society.







Until next week,


















Thought of the day







No comments:

Post a Comment